The World of Willis

This is a blog about how i see the world and the stuff that i do in this crazy place

Monday, April 24, 2006

Stuffed Giraffes and other stuffed oddities

So most of my friends and myself were up in Shuqulak, Mississippi for a crawfish boil. Laura kindly invited us (thanks) and we all had a freakin great time. The lakehouse and land it was on was absolutlely amazing. The crawfish were some of the best i have had in a long while and here relatives that were there welcomed us with open arms. You could not have asked for a better time. There was one thing that struck me as a little odd though. Inside the lake house was a plethora of stuffed animals both usual and unusual. Yes, there was the required herd of mounted deerheads, boar, and bobcats. But there were some no so common animal. Say, for instance, a stuffed wildebeest head, water buffalo head, zebra pelt, all various kind of antelope and gazelles. But the most shocking and weirdest thing was the massive stuffed giraffe in the corner, it was just the neck and head the body had obviously been discarded and its pelt was made into a rug for one of the bedrooms. Who in the hell stuffs a giraffe for crying out loud. I can understand deer and elk and to some degree wildebeest and water buffalo, but a friggin giraffe. How do you even hunt and kill a giraffe? Do you just wake up one morning and go "fuck it, let's go shoot a giraffe, stuff the neck and head and make a rug out of the skin." I guess it was just a little bit of shock factor when I saw it. I cannot think of a good reason to kill a giraffe, people do not eat them, they are not aggressive, and usually do not interfere in the agricultural endeavors of native populations. So I just don't know. So anyway, we did have a good time, and if I ever need to know how to kill a giraffe I know where to go.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger KayJayPea said…

    I heard you were a walking work of art after nightfall (at the hands of a Sharpie)... nice...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home