The World of Willis

This is a blog about how i see the world and the stuff that i do in this crazy place

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Et tu Brute

I did not post yesterday for a reason, it was March 15, the Ides of March. This date marks the the day in 44 BCE that Julius Caesar was assassinated by a group of Roman Patricians and Senators. It was watershed moment for the Roman Republic, after civil war between the forces of Marc Antony, Cassius, and Brutus against the forces of Caesar's nephew Octavian. Octavian eventually defeated his opponents and became the first Roman Emperor, taking the name Caesar Augustus. This marked the end of the Roman Republic and the beginning of the Roman Imperial Period. It is a watershed moment in the history and development of Western civilization.

The Roman Imperial period allowed for more stability in its early years and wanton corruption and warfare in its later years. In between were 200 years of relative peace and prosperity in the empire known as the Pax Romana or "Roman Peace." This allowed for the development and furtherment of civilization throughout Western Europe, from the tip of Spain to Scotland and to the Danube River. So here is your history lesson for today, I hope that you enjoyed it and learned a little bit as tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and I plan on getting freaking bombed out of my gourde!! Sliante!!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger umrebel said…

    "I to be to fix"?

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger KayJayPea said…

    I bet your professors either loved you or hated you with a passion in college, no?

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger umrebel said…

    They both loved and hated me, I particpated, but I was also an ass

     

Post a Comment

<< Home